Plastic Surgery Procedure: Breast Revision Surgery
Breast revision surgery has become very common today. Many women feel that breasts age by sagging and thus, they decide to undergo surgery.
There are two kinds of breast revision or correction surgeries: the first is a breast lift surgery and the second is the breast reduction surgery.
The breast lift surgery is suitable for those women whose breasts have started sagging or descending due to breastfeeding and pregnancy.
The breast reduction surgery, on the other hand, benefits those women who feel the need to reduce their breast size.
In this post, we will focus on the procedure of breast lift surgery or mastopexy. Below is everything you need to know about a breast revision surgery:
A breast revision surgery is something that cannot remain common for all. It depends on each individual's needs.
The one thing that you will do before the actual surgery happens is that you will sit down with your doctor and tell him what you are expecting out of this surgery.
The doctors will then suggest the right treatment for you and the right way to go about the treatment.
For women whose breasts have started sagging, the doctors will go for a breast lift surgery wherein they will position your nipples and areolas higher on your breasts.
For women whose breasts have grown in size and have started sagging, the doctors may recommend a breast reduction surgery with a lift.
Though the recommendations could be the same, but the procedure may slightly differ from person to person depending on your needs and what is best for your condition.
The procedure of the breast revision surgery will take about two to three hours, and thus, you must take out at least four hours of your time in case it takes longer. The procedure for the breast revision surgery is as follows:
Breast Lift Surgery
- Step 1: The surgeon will administer anaesthesia to reduce discomfort during the surgery. The doctor will keep you under a local anaesthesia or sedatives, whichever is the best for you. This is going to help you get through the surgery without feeling the pain.
- Step 2: The surgeon then makes incisions on your breasts. The most common incisions are around the areolas or around the areolas and vertically down from the areolas till the breast crease and then horizontally along the breast crease. The incision will depend on the shape of your breast originally and the look that you are going for.
- Step 3: After the incisions, the reshaping process will begin. The first thing that the surgeon will do is to lift and reshape the underlying tissue of your breasts. This will give a better breast contour and firmness. Next, The surgeon will reposition the nipples and the areolas to a higher position. He then removes excess breast skin.
- Step 4: Once the excess skin is removed and your breasts have attained the desired shape, he will tighten the skin around your breasts by closing the incisions.
Breast Reduction surgery
- The first two steps of the breast reduction surgery are exactly the same as the ones for a breast lift surgery.
- After the surgeon makes the incisions, he will use liposuction to remove excess fat and tissues and skin to reduce the size of the breasts. He will next reposition the nipples and areolas at a higher position, and once you achieve the desired shape, the doctors will close the incisions.
After the procedure, you will be back home with light dressing or bandages on your incisions, and you will be wear a special bra to support the healing process for about two to three weeks.
Things to remember
A lot of doubts come to our mind when we plan to get a breast revision surgery. Some of the answers that you may be looking for are as below:
- Yes, your breasts will change shape as time passes even after undergoing the surgery. The results will be long-lasting if you maintain your weight and have a healthy lifestyle.
- There is no guarantee that your breasts will look the way they did when you were younger.
- The nipples will regain their sensation after recovery period is over, although, there is a slight risk in this when you go for a breast lift.
A breast revision surgery can be very helpful to you and thus, if you are considering the surgery, contact our well-qualified doctors.