Plastic Surgery Procedure: Breast Revision Surgery
Breast revision surgery has become very common today. Many women feel that breasts age by sagging and thus, they decide to get this surgery done. There are two kinds of breast revision or correction surgeries wherein the first is a breast lift surgery and the second is the breast reduction surgery. The breast lift surgery is suitable for those women whose breasts have started sagging or descending due to breastfeeding and pregnancy. The breast reduction surgery, on the other hand, benefits those women who feel the need to reduce their breast size. Today, we will focus on the procedure of breast lift surgery or as it is called Mastopexy. Below is everything you need to know about a breast revision surgery:
A breast revision surgery is something that cannot remain common for all. It is designed so that your needs are fulfilled as an individual. The one thing that you will do before the actual surgery happens is that you will sit down with your doctor and tell him what you are expecting out of this surgery. The doctors will then suggest the right treatment for you and the right way to go about the treatment. For women whose breasts have started sagging, the doctors will go for a breast lift surgery wherein they will position your nipples and areolas higher on your breasts. For women whose breasts have grown in size and have started sagging, the doctors may recommend a breast reduction surgery with a lift. Though the recommendations could be the same, but the procedure may slightly differ from person to person depending on your needs and what is best for your condition.
The procedure of the breast revision surgery will take about two to three hours, and thus, you must take out at least four hours of your time in case it takes longer. The procedure for the breast revision surgery is as follows:
Breast Lift Surgery
- Step 1: Anaesthesia is a vital medication that you will be given. This is done to reduce discomfort during the surgery. The doctor will keep you under a local anaesthesia or sedatives, whichever is the best for you. This is going to help you get through the surgery without feeling the pain.
- Step 2: Incisions will be made on your breasts. The most common incisions are given around the areolas or around the areolas and vertically down from the areolas till the breast crease and then horizontally along the breast crease. The incision will be dependent on the shape of your breast originally and the look that you are going for.
- Step 3: After the incisions are done, the reshaping process will begin. The first thing that will be done is to lift and reshape the underlying tissue of your breasts. This is done to give a better breast contour and firmness. Next, the nipples and the areolas will be repositioned to a higher position. The excess breast skin is then removed.
- Step 4: Once the excess skin is removed and your breasts have attained the desired shape, the skin around the breasts will be tightened by closing the incisions.
Breast Reduction surgery
- The first two steps of the breast reduction surgery are exactly the same as the ones for a breast lift surgery.
- After the incisions are made, the doctors will use liposuction to remove excess fat and tissues and skin to reduce the size of the breasts. The nipples and areolas are then repositioned at a higher position, and the desired shape is achieved, the doctors will close the incisions.
After the procedure is over, you will be back home with light dressing or bandages on your incisions, and you will be given a special bra to wear to support the healing process for about two to three weeks.
Things to remember
A lot of doubts come to our mind when we plan to get a breast revision surgery done. Some of the answers that you may be looking for are as below:
- Yes, your breasts will change shape as time passes even after getting the surgery done. The results will be long-lasting if you maintain your weight and have a healthy lifestyle.
- There is no guarantee that your breasts will look the way they did when you were younger.
- The nipples will regain their sensation after recovery period is over, although, there is a slight risk in this when you go for a breast lift.
A breast revision surgery can be very helpful to you and thus, if you are considering the surgery, contact our well-qualified doctors.